Die Wirtschaftswelt rückt immer näher zusammen und Englisch ist die Lingua franca des heutigen Business. Auch Versicherungsvermittler stehen häufig vor der Herausforderung, Englisch sprechen zu müssen.
Die Gelegenheiten beziehungsweise Verlegenheiten für Versicherungsvermittler, ihre Englischkenntnisse anzuwenden, können unterschiedlich sein: Versetzungen an einen Standort im Ausland, Firmenkunden, die ins Ausland exportieren oder dort Tochtergesellschaften unterhalten, englischsprachige Expats, die Versicherungsschutz suchen. Eine Serie von Beiträgen auf versicherungsmagazin.de erläutert Grundbegriffe der Assekuranz in Fragen und Antworten auf Englisch. Der achteTeil beschäftigt sich mit der Haftpflichtversicherung.
Who are the three parties that may be involved in a liability claim?
What are the tasks of a liability insurer?
Liability insurance protects the insured against claims towards them by third parties. The insurer
- compensates justified claims and
- defends the insured against unjustified claims (insofar the insurers provide legal protection)
We distinguish between private/personal and commercial liability insurance (different insurable interests). How would you describe the insured risk under a private liability policy?
- The insured is covered in their capacity as a private person plus
- quantitative (moving into a larger flat) and qualitative changes (starting with a dangerous hobby) plus
- new risks (limited), such as buying a dog, plus
- family members (additional insureds)
Which liability cases should be discussed and clarified in advance?
- Damage to borrowed things
- Household effects during removal, e.g. help between friends
- What if a child under seven years causes a damage?
- Pure(ly) financial losses
- Recourse of statutory social insurance carriers
How can you calculate the market penetration rate of personal liability insurance in Germany?
Divide the number of policies by the number of households. (Statistik der Bafin, Tab. 550, GDV Statistisches Taschenbuch der Versicherungswirtschaft (annual publications))
Regarding property damage to a third party: Is the compensation of the insurer based on the ’principle of indemnity’or on a ’new for old basis’?
Under liability policies material damage is compensated according to the principle of indemnity, that is current or present market value/cash value indemnification.
In case of a claim: What kinds of questions will the claims officer/loss adjuster additionally ask?
- “Do you think you have done something wrong?“
- “Do you think it was your sole responsibility? Or is anybody else partly to blame?“ (con’tributory negligence)
- “Who has suffered damage?“
- “Only material damage or also bodily injury?“
- “What kind of injuries?“
- “Have they already demanded compensation?“
What types of liability insurance can you distinguish?
- Personal liability
- Property owners’ liability
- Pet insurance, e.g. for a dog or horse owner
- Motor third-party cover
- Legal expenses
Commercial & Industrial
- Employers’ liability (compulsory)
- Public liability
- Product liability
- Product recall
- Environmental impairment
- Professional indemnity
What is an ’Environmental Impairment’ cover?
A liability policy that pays if the insured negligently causes environmental pollution.
How could you improve your writing style?
- Think positive and phrase positively
- Choose customer-oriented language
- Use nouns only if necessary
- ‘You‘ may be better than ‘we‘
- ‘Active form‘ may be better than ‘passive form‘
- Maximum 15 words per sentence
borrowed = geliehenen
principle of indemnity = Zeitwertbasis
new for old basis = Neuwertbasis
Professional indemnity = Berufshaftpflichtversicherung
After many years working in the insurance business (mainly in the non-life sector) and being involved in various teaching activities and projects dealing with textbooks, Dieter Aigner has gathered additional experience as an English trainer on behalf of BWV Rhein-Main since 2009.
Autor(en): Dieter Aigner