Die Wirtschaftswelt rückt immer näher zusammen und Englisch ist die Lingua franca des heutigen Business. Auch Versicherungsvermittler stehen häufig vor der Herausforderung, Englisch sprechen zu müssen. Eine Serie von Beiträgen auf versicherungsmagazin.de erläutert Grundbegriffe der Assekuranz in Fragen und Antworten auf Englisch. Der neunteTeil beschäftigt sich mit der Kfz-Versicherung.
Die Kraftfahrzeugversicherung ist einer der bedeutsamsten Versicherungszweige. Sie betrifft alle Halter von Kraftfahrzeugen. Die Deckung kann nicht nur Haftpflichtelemente sondern auch Eigenschäden am Fahrzeug oder Gepäck des Versicherten umfassen. Und für den Fall eines Unfalles wäre es gut, eine Checkliste zur Hand zu haben, die einem hilft, alle wichtigen Infos zusammenzutragen. Der Europäische Unfallbericht ist in über 20 Sprachen erhältlich und kann auch bei Auslandsreisen wertvolle Hilfe leisten.
Motor/Car insurance and negotiating
How far are British products differently structured compared with German products?
- Motor third party liability (MTPL) (compulsory/ statutory)
- Partial cover for own damage
- Total cover for own damage
- Motor third party liability (MTPL) (compulsory/statutory)
- Third-party, fire and theft (TPFT)
- (Fully) Comprehensive (FC) which comprises cover for TPFT and total cover for own damage
Which type of insurance covers which perils and losses in Germany?
Third-party (TP) only policy
- bodily injury to third parties
- damage to the property of third parties
- pure financial losses of third parties
Partial cover for own damage
- damage by fire, lightning or explosion, theft, flood, storm or hail, breakage of glass, due to a collision with an animal, or caused by marten
Total cover for own damage covers additionally
- accidental damage to one’s own vehicle
- vandalism, wilful or malicious damage by third parties
What’s the difference between these options as far as cost is concerned?
The premiums for TPFT are likely to be about half the premium for FC.
Can you get a reduction in premium if you drive for several years without a claim?
Yes, in such a case you have the chance to get a so called no-claims discount.
How to cover a car fleet of a firm that is changing its individual vehicles all the time?
Recommend a so called blanket insurance.
What should you do if you are involved in a traffic accident?
You should note down:
Registration numbers of the vehicles involved
Names and addresses of the drivers involved
Exact date, time and location of the accident
Names and addresses of any eye-witnesses
Take photos of the vehicles
Do not say that it was your fault
In case of a claim: What kinds of questions will the claims officer/loss adjuster additionally ask?
- "Was any other vehicle involved?"
- "What is the type, make and model of the other vehicle?"
|type: passenger car/ HGV*|
|model: Golf/ 6 series model|
|make: VW/ BMW|
* heavy goods vehicle
- "What is the registration number of the vehicle?"
- "Which parts of the vehicle were damaged?"
- "Were the police notified?"
- "Where’s the car now by the way?"
- "Was the accident influenced by alcohol?"
Does an FC policy indemnify the insured for actual loss through accidental damage?
The indemnity figure may take into account of depreciation/ wear and tear of one’s vehicle.
A sales talk is a decision-making process. Can you distinguish different stages?
- What information is available in advance?
- Analysing of information
- What could be/is the issue [’ischu or ’isju:]/problem?
- Possible solutions? (Assessing features and benefits)
- What’s the best solution for the client (may lead to an offer)? ('If I were you, I would ... '; 'You should ...'; 'Why not ...'?)
- Decision (Agreed!)
- After-sales service (Starting with a provisional cover or issuing a policy.)
Total cover for own damage = Vollkaskoversicherung
accidental damage = hier: Unfallschaden
Assessing features and benefits = Merkmale und Vorteile
After many years working in the insurance business (mainly in the non-life sector) and being involved in various teaching activities and projects dealing with textbooks, Dieter Aigner has gathered additional experience as an English trainer on behalf of BWV Rhein-Main since 2009.
Autor(en): Dieter Aigner